Change – it’s coming! Despite the fact that most of us don’t love it, most of us know it is inevitable in all aspects of our lives. To set yourself up for success when facing changes in the workplace, you can take these steps:
- Accept that change happens in both your personal and professional life.
- Pay attention for signs that change is imminent and acknowledge them.
- Anticipate the change process and do your best to accept the changes as quickly as possible.
- Communicate with management to gain a comprehensive understanding of the changes. Share any concerns and fears and establish a clear picture of what is to come.
- Assess your strengths and areas for improvement. Identify areas where your strengths can come into play and begin improving in the areas when you fall short.
- Be flexible enough to look at the different angles of the change and see where you could apply your “existing” skills and knowledge, and what news skills you need to acquire.
- Stay optimistic: Keep a positive attitude and don’t let yourself drown in uncertainty.
Dianne Durkin is president and founder of Loyalty Factor, a specialized consulting and training company that enhances employee, customer and brand loyalty for some of the nation’s most prominent corporations and many smaller businesses. Durkin has over 25 years experience in finance, direct sales, international marketing and training and development.
Dianne’s proven expertise lies in helping companies quickly get to the core issues and outlining their impact on the organization’s profits, productivity and people. She authored “The Loyalty Factor: Building Employee, Customer and Brand Loyalty,” and the newly released “The Power of Magnetic Leadership: It’s Time to Get R.E.A.L.”